8.05.2010

Just Swing


After being with kids every day during the school year, I still can't pry myself away from them, so I nanny in the summers. I have to admit, as much as I LOVE children, the daily routine can get a bit monotonous. Don't get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoy my job! I get to go to the beach, take walks, sit by the pool, have picnics, and occasionally, just sit and read! I nanny an 11 year old boy and an 8 year old girl. This week it has just been me and the little girl so instead of being occupied by her brother, she needs me to play. It's so easy to sit back and watch kids be, but to be a kid with them takes effort. It's hard to pretend to be a patient at a doctor's office, or to prepare a dance routine for Barbies, or have a play-date with other "moms" when playing dolls. But today, I was a kid and it was so much fun! 


With my foot still in its stylish shoe, I could have easily sat on the bench at Simonds Park today, but I didn't. I swung instead. I forgot how freeing (and yet, how much work) swinging really is. It has been so long since I've swung that my stomach felt like it was falling every time I came back down. And I loved it! And then, to bring me back to my childhood even more, the ice cream truck came! I forgot how happy that song makes people! Kids from every direction were running amok while their parents lagged behind. I recognized that life would be less stressful and more fun if we just acted bit more childish every once and awhile. We should all make an effort to do child-like things more often... even if kids aren't around! Here's a few "childish" things that I've observed my kids do this week that adults should try every once and awhile: Get an extra scoop of ice cream. Eat all the cool whip with a spoon and skip the strawberries. Swing. Get dirty. Have a Dove bar for lunch. Draw. Make forts. Watch hours of the Disney channel. Pretend to be someone else. Be proud of the little accomplishments in life. And swing. 
(None of these pictures are kids that I nanny. Didn't think it was appropriate to put other people's kids on the internet!)
  






1 comment:

Leslie said...

I'm all for being a kid again! I finished off the whipped cream last night and skipped the strawberries. (had to make room in the refrigerator for something else, don't-cha-know!)I've been eating more ice cream lately, good for the mood, tho not so good for the waist. The ways I've been trying to be "more like a kid" lately is with my Heavenly Father. Having childlike faith and having simpler and more honest conversations with Him this summer has been life-changing and is transforming how I think about God, Christianity, Church, me, and life itself. When you're a child, it's all you know, it comes natural. When you're an adult, being childlike actually requires being purposeful, which I think was your point, so poignantly expressed. So, I'm taking your advice. Playing more, enjoying the small things of life like the jingle of the ice cream truck, relishing the smell of the summer rain, and stopping to watch a bee on my dahlias - becoming more aware. Thanks, Donna. And may you continue to experience the daily joys of being able to play, with our without the kids!